NEWS “without comment”

This evening Part 2 of 3 of the TV series at 9pm on Channel 4.

Murder in the Car Park – The TV program

Examining the unsolved murder of private detective Daniel Morgan, a murder inquiry that has lasted 33 years, and cost £30 million, but has failed to convict anyone.

For the first time ever Morgan’s business partner, Jonathan Rees, ex-Metropolitan police detective Sid Fillery and Rees’ former brother-in-law Glenn Vian collectively give their accounts from the time of the murder and the years that followed.


From the significant number of comments and opinions sent to me privately, following previous postings, there can be little doubt that this unfortunate case has attracted immense interest.

Undoubtedly, there is a burning desire to see justice done.

The following article by whatsnew2day sets out in straightforward terms the sequence of events, and those involved or inter-connected.

You can draw your conclusions.

Private detective business partner, found dead in 1987, is seen walking with the victim’s lover News – By Jacky Last updated: Jun 20, 2020

Excerpts: from this interesting and exceptional article:

On March 10, 1987, broker Margaret Harrison had a busy social journal. First, she attended a lunch party at her office with a hefty private investigator named Jonathan Rees.

Then, in the early evening, she shared a tete-a-tete bottle of plonk at a local wine bar with another private person named Daniel Morgan.

This romantic rivalry was more than a little uncomfortable. Rees and Morgan were business partners at a local company called Southern Investigations.

Both were married to children with women other than the “petite and good looking” – and were also married – Mrs. Harrison.

Their alleged menage-a-trois would not survive the night.

At 9:40 a.m., Daniel Morgan was found dead in a pool of blood in the parking lot of the Golden Lion pub in Sydenham, South London.

He still had the deadly weapon – an axe – embedded in his skull.

A roll of banknotes – £ 1,000 – remained undisturbed in one of his pockets.

Jonathan Rees quickly emerged as the prime suspect.

Morgan and Rees had founded Southern Detectives Private Detective Agency in 1984.

Welshman Morgan was the son of a colonial army officer, while Rees was a blunt Yorkshireman.

Both had strong personalities, and by the time of the murder, cooperation was under pressure.

An alleged point of contention – which should be emphasized, has been vigorously denied by Rees – was Margaret Harrison.

She was the manager of Furmston’s real estate agent across Southern Investigations, on Thornton Heath High Street in South London.

In 1985, a local law firm hosted a Christmas party where key clients were invited. Among them were Margaret Harrison and Daniel Morgan.

She was introduced to Morgan at the party, then 36.

What exactly happened and when remains a matter of dispute.

What is clear – and it seems to have been well known in their circle – was that Morgan and Mrs. Harrison started an affair.

A police detective named Alec Leighton also allegedly testified to one of the murder investigations, saying that he attended lunch at a restaurant two weeks before the murder, which also included Morgan and Harrison.

“I remember talking to Daniel Morgan,” said the police officer. “He reported Margaret Harrison and said he was having an affair with her.”

Three weeks after the murder, Rees, Fillery, the brothers-in-law of Rees, Garry and Glenn Vian, and two other detectives were arrested on suspicion of murder, but all were later released without charges.

In the summer of 1988, the Hampshire Police Department was called in to investigate again.

Detective Sergeant Alec Leighton, a long-time friend of Rees’s, also made a new statement recalling Morgan’s allegation that he was having an affair with Mrs. Harrison.

Rees was arrested again and charged with murder in February 1989, but the charges were quickly dropped for lack of evidence.

Alec Leighton and Jonathan Rees were still talking about Margaret Harrison ten years later.

The most recent saw Rees, the Vian brothers, and another man arrested and charged with the murder of Daniel Morgan in April 2008.

The case collapsed in 2011 before the facts could be brought before a jury, after an extensive legal argument about the gathering of evidence and the failure to provide all relevant police documents to the defense.

Formal “not guilty” statements were made against the defendants.

That’s not to say that all the actors in this drama have gone unharmed for the past four decades.

Thanks to the wiretapped office, police discovered a plot by Jonathan Rees to consider a client’s wife as a drug dealer. In 2000 he was sentenced to seven years in prison.

Sid Fillery, who retired due to ill health and almost immediately became Rees’s partner with Southern Investigations, was subsequently convicted of child pornography.

And Alec Leighton was suspended on suspicion of corruption for another matter and left police before disciplinary action was taken. He has always denied every mistake.

Meanwhile, Garry Vian, Rees ‘brother-in-law and a Southern Investigations’ security officer, was convicted of drug trafficking for 14 years in 2005.

But they did collaborate with the new Channel 4 series on the murder.

It may have something to do with the £ 155,000 damage Rees received from the Metropolitan Police last July after suing the police for malicious prosecution.

A Supreme Court judge ruled that Glenn Vian would receive a similar amount.

Garry Vian received £ 104,000.

The search for justice for the Morgan family continues.

Full Article:

Post by Ian D. Withers